Wall panels or wall panelling is a wonderful way of giving a beautiful enhancement to the look and appearance of otherwise the dull looking walls. Wall panelling is being increasingly used in modern homes, including auditoriums, hotels, museums, shopping malls and other commercial areas. Interior wall panels give a whole new look to your home interiors, adding visual interest to the walls. Decorative wall panels give a classic touch to the simple painted walls and adds a style element to the design of your entire room.
What is Wall Panelling?
Wall panelling is actually a wall treatment where in sheets of a particular material are installed on the walls. It is a method of decorating a wall using varied materials to transform a plain wall into a visually appealing space. Though the most common forms of wall decor is to use paints, textured wall paper, wall hangings or wall art, wall panelling gives a unique character to the walls and hence widely been demanded today.
Types of Decorative Wall Panels / Materials for Wall Panels
There are varied materials used for wall panelling. The choice of the material depends to a great extent on the other design elements of your home interiors. There are wood wall panels, fabrics wall panels, stone wall panels, wall paper panelling etc. There are are faux finishes or even faux panels that can be used to create the look of wood, stone or fabric panels.
- Wood Panels: Wood paneling panel has been a popular wall decorating trend. While traditional style uses solid pieces of lumber, there are various types of wood which can be used for wall paneling. From solid hardwood to particle boards to veneered panels you have a lot of options to choose from. Solid wood definitely give a plush look which is uncomparable to any other types of wood. Lumber is also a popular for panels. You can also find laminated pieces and vinyl coated panels in the market. Various finishes are available in wood panels but for a classy look, opt for a natural finish that shows the wood grain instead of painting the panels.
- Metal Wall Panels: Preformed metal wall panels are manufactured from a variety of metals, including steel, aluminum, copper and zinc, with steel being the most commonly used. A highly durable paint or coating is applied to steel panels to protect them from the elements. Initially preformed metal wall panels were used exclusively on industrial plants and warehouses. Today, they are used on virtually every type of structure, from manufacturing facilities and stores to schools and office buildings.
- Fabric wall panels: These are another quick and inexpensive method to give a finished look to the walls. This type of wall panel is made from heavy fabric such as canvas, and can be easily hung in a matter of hours to cover unfinished ceilings and walls, giving any space a clean, refined look.
- Recently concrete panels, stone panels and tile panels are also becoming a hit for wall decoration in commercial as well as residential spaces.
Uses of Interior Wall Paneling
The main purpose of using wall panels is to add a beautiful element to the interior design. It is one of the most easiest way of revamping your home instead of the regular painting and wall paper jobs. Besides the decorative puspose, wall panelling is also very useful for other functions like as follows:
- Installing wall panels hide the defects and imperfections that are seen in walls.
- Wall panelling helps tp keep the walls from getting damaged due to the furniture that was placed against it.
- They are seen in museums and galleries to provide descriptions of exhibits.
- They hide away electronics such as stereo speakers and electrical wires.
- As a decor element, they are an excellent way to break up wall space.
- You also find portable or temporary wall panels that are mainly used in offices and business settings to divide a space into cubicles. These are also referred as modular wall panels and are constructed or wood or metal and covered with fabrics, paneling, textured materials, or wallpaper to make them more aesthetically pleasing.
- Acoustical and sound absorbing wall panels are available hich are perfect for the studio.
Styles of Wall Panelling / Wall Paneling Ideas
You need to first decide whether you need traditional or modern decorative wall panels. There are various styles like as follows:
- Flat paneling
- Raised paneling
- Overlay paneling
- Beadboard paneling
- Knotty pine paneling
- Tongue and groove paneling
- Shiplap edges
- Grill panels
- Perforated panels
- Acoustic wall panels
- Ornamental wall panels
You can go for for mixed paneling, but it is better to stick to a single type of paneling throughout the room and maintain uniformity. Though a wide range of modern designs are available, you could always use customized interior wall paneling. You could change the look of some of the wall panels by using paint over panelling. Though wood remains a preferred choice for wall panels, for a contemporary styled home you can use panels made from other materials.
Wall Panel Installation Styles
Decorative wall paneling can be installed in various ways. Sizes can vary depending upon your interior decoration plan. The height can be anything between 1½ feet to those covering half of the wall. You can install these from one end of the wall to another, and running ahead till the next rooms and floors. You can also attach wall panels in the pillars, window frames and door frames. If you really want to add some visual interest to the walls, juct check out online different interior wall paneling styles. Wall panels will definitely enhance the interiors of your home and will complement other elements of your home decor.
Check out some designs in Decorative Wall Panel Images
Categories: Decoration Tips